Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani’s plea on ‘Rangeela Raja’ gets rejected by Bombay HC


Image Source - indianexpress.com

Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani is in the news again. No, not for his role as the Censor Board chief (Prasoon Joshi replaced him last year), but because he is facing difficulties getting his film ‘Rangeela Raja’ passed without cuts. Ironical, isn’t it? The veteran filmmaker had moved to Bombay High Court regarding 19 cuts in his latest film ‘Rangeela Raja’ starring Govinda .

Pahlaj Nihalani had requested to the court to hear his plea on an urgent basis. However, in a reply to his appeal, the Bombay High Court’s vacation bench has refused to hear his plea on an urgent basis. He will now have to appeal again on November 12.

View this post on Instagram

Rangeela Raja trailer out now (link in bio) #rangeelaraja

A post shared by Govinda (@govinda_herono1) on

Pahlaj is not happy with the cuts suggested by the Censor Board. According to a report in Pinkvilla, talking about how the cuts are unjustified, Pahlaj told reporters, “I hope, just as other films have got justice, the High Court will give me some relief too. They have given relief to filmmakers who had moved the High Court when the CBFC had ordered cuts in my tenure. We used to follow guidelines, and still, people thought we did it unreasonably.”

Pahlaj also criticised the current CBFC chief Prasoon Joshi and said he should be sacked as he is not available in his office and is travelling. Looks like, Pahlaj can now understand the pain of filmmakers, who had to endure similar things when he was the chief. In one of the instances in 2016, Shahid Kapoor starrer ‘Udta Punjab’ was given 89 cuts, which later got modified to one cut. Coincidentally, the makers got this relief by appealing in the Bombay High Court.

Also Read:‘Rangeela Raja’: Check out the super cool poster of this Govinda starrer