- Movie Director: Gauri Shinde
- Cast and Crew: Sridevi, Adil Hussein, Mehdi Nebbou, Priya Anand
- Releasing Date: October 5, 2012
- Music Composers: Amit Trivedi
- Lyricist: Swanand Kirkire
- Production House: Hope productions
- Fun Fact: In September 2013, English Vinglish was considered for being shortlisted for the Indian submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
- Why it Made News: Sridevi's comeback after a hiatus of 15 long years became quite a buzz.
A simple touching tale told with extreme care. Gauri Shinde successfully proved her prowess with this directorial debut. English Vinglish is a story about Shashi, a homemaker who runs a business from home of making laddoos. Despite earning herself a name in what she does best (making laddoos), she’s mocked at by her husband and daughter for being a homely conservative woman who doesn’t know how to speak English. In our country where many people suffer from low self-esteem just for this sole reason of not knowing English and are denied jobs or mocked at workplaces if they manage to get one, Shashi’s character resonates with many. However, Shashi gets a chance to prove herself in New York where she goes to help her sister in the wedding preparations of her niece. Here, she secretly joins a crash course to learn to speak in English where she meets a diverse group of people from different parts of the world who want to prove themselves too, just like Shashi. She impresses all by her assiduousness and dedication. The certificate is to be awarded after the students deliver a 5 minute speech and this becomes the climax of the story. Shashi gives an emotional toast to the newly wed couple while also in her speech, outlining the importance of a family. Her husband and daughter feel ashamed of their behaviour towards her and are surprised at her wonderful speech in – English!