- Movie Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Cast and Crew: Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Aditi Rao Hydari, Jim Sarbh
- Releasing Date: 12/1/2017
- Music Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Lyricist: AM Turaz and Siddharth-Garima
- Production House: Viacom 18 Motion Pictures, Bhansali Productions
- Fun Fact: Padmavati is the first Bollywood film being distributed by Paramount Pictures over all international territories. Moreover, this is the first Sanjay Leela Bhansali film that is being rendered in 3D by Prime Focus Limited.
- Why it Made News: The film made news for facing protests from the Karni Sena who objected on the film's content claiming that it distorted historical facts.
This epic period drama film directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali was consistently in news for the protests that it faced from fringe groups for allegedly distorting historical facts. Based on the epic poem Padmavat by Malik Muhammad Jayasi, the film features Deepika Padukone in the titular role of Rani Padmavati, Shahid Kapoor as Maharawal Ratan Singh and Ranveer Singh as Sultan Alauddin Khilji, with Aditi Rao Hydari and Jim Sarbh in supporting roles.
As per the poem Padmavat, Padmavati was the wife of the Rajput ruler of Mewar, Maharawal Ratan Singh. In 1303, the Turko-Afghan ruler of the Delhi Sultanate, Alauddin Khilji, sieged the Chittor Fort in Rajputana. The invasion was led by Khilji with a desire to capture the Queen. In order to protect their honour, Padmavati is said to have committed jauhar (self-immolation) along with the other women of the city.