- Sponsored -
25 Years Of ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’: Unknown facts about the Shah Rukh Khan-Kajol starrer milestone in romance
Romance is one genre in Hindi cinema that has always garnered love from the audience. And that’s the reason it’s used as a safe vehicle to launch new talents. When we talk about romance in Hindi films, one name that comes to the mind is Shah Rukh Khan. And, you can’t picture Shah Rukh Khan in your head without ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’.
Today as the movie crosses 25 years, here are some unknown facts about the film. Have a look:
- Everyone thought Shah Rukh Khan would love the script of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and would agree to do it. However, he initially said no! He liked the script but didn’t want to do a romantic film. He thought he was too old and not “typically” good-looking enough to pull it off. But, he eventually accepted the role because of his faith in Aditya Chopra and Yash Chopra. And partly, the reason for his acceptance of this film was Yash Chopra’s words, as he told SRK that he’d never be a big star if he didn’t do a romantic film.
- The iconic leather jacket Shah Rukh is seen donning in the film was picked up by Uday Chopra from a Harley-Davidson store in California.
- Aditya Chopra wrote DDLJ in a span of three to four weeks. Karan Johar revealed that every day, Aditya would discuss the film and its core concept with him and ask for his input. But mostly, he had the film sorted in his head.
- DDLJ was Karan Johar’s training ground. He was the assistant director on this film and also played the part of Shah Rukh’s friend.
- Kajol’s iconic white skirt in Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye was cut on set. Manish Malhotra and his team cut it because Aditya Chopra thought it was initially too long. It eventually became quite a bit shorter than they expected, but they went with it!
- Uday Chopra and Karan Johar cut the making of DDLJ. They were locked in an edit room for days getting this done, and Karan said he felt like they were making their own film. They then got a slot from Doordarshan and aired the making of the film on TV which is a first for Indian cinema.
- Not Shah Rukh Khan, but Tom Cruise was the first choice for the role of Raj. Director Aditya Chopra wanted to cast the Hollywood star. But, Yash Chopra wasn’t quite excited about this.
So that was our story on some of the unknown facts of ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’. We will be back with more stories. Till then, keep reading Bollywood Bubble.