The Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) has called for public screenings of Satluj after the film’s removal from ZEE5, describing it as an attempt to suppress Jaswant Singh Khalra’s story. Amid the controversy, director Honey Trehan shared that Diljit Dosanjh agreed to star in the film without charging any fee and stood by the project throughout its troubled journey. Scroll down to read the full story.
Honey Trehan Reveals Diljit Dosanjh Did Satluj For Free
“Even before I told him I wanted to make a film on Jaswant Singh Khalra, he immediately said, ‘There’s only one story from Punjab worth making if it isn’t about 1984.’ I showed him my research book. He looked at Mr Khalra’s photograph, picked up the book, placed it on his forehead and simply said, ‘Waheguru ji… tell me when and where to come. You’ll find me there,’” recalled Honey, revealing that Diljit didn’t charge even a penny for the film.
The filmmaker also shared that Diljit remained incredibly patient despite repeated production delays. “There were days when he reported at six in the morning, and I couldn’t take his first shot until four in the evening because schedules had gone haywire. I kept apologising. Every single time he would tell me, ‘Paaji, no problem. Whatever you’re doing, you’re doing for the film. I’m here to support the film,’” Honey told Mid-Day.
“Diljit’s support has always been there. Whenever I speak to him, he really tries to empathise with me. It’s not something in our control. We all know the reasons. It’s sad, but we can’t do anything beyond a point. Diljit has been very vocal. He shows up whenever and wherever he can,” Honey said earlier this year on Screen Spotlight.
Satluj Actor Kanwaljit Singh REACTS
Talking to The Free Press Journal, Kanwaljit Singh mentioned he had spoken to Honey Trehan soon after the film was pulled from the platform. “I spoke to Honey after the film was taken down. And he said they will be taking the matter to court. But what I don’t understand is why they had to take it off. Even people who weren’t going to watch it will want to watch it now. It has also been downloaded by so many people, so even though lots of people will be watching it, the producers will lose out. But I want to ask, what is this freedom of speech? Tell me, I really want to know. That right is being strangled,” he said.
In a separate interview with IANS, Kanwaljit Singh expressed his shock over the film’s sudden removal after such a long and difficult journey to release. “I was shocked because it was like that for 2.5-3 years, the case went on. I really admire my director and the producer, Honey and Ronnie, that they stuck to their guns. They never succumbed to outside pressure. When they were told to give 127 cuts and send it to Canada. Then suddenly it was pulled back from the Canada Film Festival. This has been happening with the film for a long time. When they finally said, ‘Just release it,’ I wondered what they were afraid of. What backlash could there be? Time heals wounds, and after that, it’s just talk—you can talk and sort things out. No one retaliates like this after so long,” he added.
Gul Panag REACTS
Gul Panag shared her thoughts on X (formerly Twitter). She wrote, “I grew up in Punjab during the brutal years of militancy. I remember reading newspaper headlines about buses being stopped and innocent passengers being pulled out and killed. I also remember accounts of young men being picked up, detained and tortured, despite having nothing to do with the movement.”
A film isn’t a history textbook. It tells a story through one lens and one perspective. Debate it. Critique it. Counter it. Banning it is always counter productive.
— Gul Panag (@GulPanag) July 7, 2026
But don’t assume Punjab’s hard-won rejection of separatism is so fragile that a film can reverse it!! https://t.co/eZYSF5EHQm
She further added, “Those memories are precisely why I don’t believe we should become so uncomfortable with difficult chapters of our history that we stop telling stories about them.”
About Satluj & Controversy
Satluj, formerly titled Punjab ’95, has faced a long battle against censorship for over three years. When its world premiere was announced at the Toronto International Film Festival 2023, the makers were forced to withdraw the film despite it not requiring CBFC certification for festival screenings. Later, the Central Board of Film Certification demanded 127 cuts, which the producers refused to make.
The filmmakers alleged they were later prevented from holding private screenings and that despite favourable court observations. They were pressured to withdraw the case. Similar hurdles reportedly arose when they attempted an international theatrical release.
For more news and updates from the entertainment world, stay tuned to Bollywood Bubble.
Also Read: Satluj Controversy: Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee Objects To Diljit Dosanjh Starrer’s Removal; Announces Public Screenings

Akankshya Mukherjee is a dynamic and ambitious individual poised to make waves in the realm of Media and Communication. With a passion for creativity and a drive to contribute to forward-thinking organizations, Akankshya embodies adaptability and a hunger for learning. Having already garnered experience through involvement in various organizations, she has honed the skill of quickly adapting to new environments and challenges. She sees each opportunity as a chance for personal and professional growth, eagerly embracing roles in communications and content writing.
















